CMarZ Symposium and SG Meeting, Qingdao, China, 11-13 May 2010
Steering Group meeting, Qingdao, 11-13 May 2010.
Ann Bucklin (Univ. Connecticut): Introduction
Theme A: Zooplankton biodiversity in Southeast Asia
Shuhei Nishida (ORI): "Zooplankton biodiversity in Southeast Asia: An overview"
Ephrime Metillo (Mindanao State University-Iligan, Philippines): "Community structure of copepods from different nearshore substrates off Tinggi and Sibu Islands, Malaysia".
Theme C: Zooplankton biodiversity of the open ocean
Peter Wiebe (WHOI) "Zooplankton sampling of the deep Sargasso Sea"
- short video of the computer screen during data acquisition for a MOCNESS-1meter tow to 5000 meters on the RHBrown-0603 cruise in the Sargasso Sea (April 2006).
- short video of the MOCNESS-10 meter net being launched over the side of the RHBrown-0603 cruise in the Sargasso Sea (April 2006).
Vijahalakshmi Nair ( ) "Contributions to CMarZ : From the Indian Ocean (2005-2010)"
Theme D: Data and Information Management for CMarZ
Nancy Copley (WHOI), "A guided tour through the CMarZ website"
Theme E: Genetic and Biochemical Studies of Zooplankton Diversity
|Steering Group members: Vijaya Nair, Sun Song, Larry Madin, Shuhei Nishida, Annelies Pierrot-Bults, Ann Bucklin, Sigi Schiel, Peter Wiebe, Martin Angel.|
Ann Bucklin (Univ. Connecticut) - "DNA barcoding of North Atlantic zooplankton"
Ryuji Machida, (Ocean Research Institute, University of Tokyo Present position; Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History) "Zooplankton Community Genomics"
Xinming Pu (First Institute of Oceanography, State Oceanic Administration, Qingdao, China) - "Using fatty acids as physiological and ecological indicator of zooplankton in the Yellow Sea: with implications in relationships of biochemical indices and biodiversity"
Challenges in zooplankton research: present and future
Short Presentations by Panel Members
- Dhugal Lindsay (JAMSTEC)
- Ryuji Machida (Ocean Research Institute, University of Tokyo Present position; Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History) "Metagenomics, Metagenetics, Metatranscriptomics"
- Leocadio Blanco-Bercial (Univ. Connecticut) "We Have the Sequences and id's so now - What's Next?"
- Ephrime Metillo (Mindanao State Univ.) "Where do we go from here?"
- Jun Nishikawa (AORI, Univ. Tokyo)
- Fangping Cheng (PhD student, IOCAS) "The Expectations of zooplankton study"